Family Sponsorships - Astra Immigration

  • Home
  • Family Sponsorships

Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and a:
• Canadian citizen or
• A person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
• Permanent resident of Canada Sponsor your spouse, partner, or children You can become a sponsor if you are:

• A Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident
• At least 18 years old
• Living in Canada: If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident. You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada
• If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.
• Able to prove that you have enough income to provide basic needs for your spouse or partner’s dependent children. You must submit documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months only if the spouse or partner you are sponsoring has a grandchild who is coming with them (see subsection 1(3) of the IRPR for more details).

Who you can sponsor?
• You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if: your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner is at least 18 years old your relationship is genuine (real) and was not entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
• If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, he or she must cohabit (live) with you in Canada.
• You can sponsor your dependent child as long as the child meets the definition of a dependent child. If you are sponsoring more than one dependent child, you must submit a complete set of application forms and documents for each one. Applications to sponsor dependent children are processed outside Canada.
To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependents must not be inadmissible to Canada.

Sponsors living in Quebec
The province of Quebec has its own immigration rules. Find out how to sponsor someone if you live in Quebec.
After your application is received, we will send you an email or letter with instructions about how to apply to the Quebec government to become a sponsor. If Quebec approves you as a sponsor, you will get a Quebec Selection Certificate.
We encourage you to prepare your Quebec sponsorship application in advance to avoid delays.
If you need help, contact the Quebec ministry for immigration.

Sponsor your Parents and Grandparents
You may be able to sponsor your parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident under the Family Class if you’re at least 18 years old and a:
• Canadian citizen or
• A person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
•Permanent Resident of Canada
If you sponsor your parent or grandparent to come to Canada as a Permanent resident, you must:
•Support them financially when they arrive
• Make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government provide for your own essential needs and those of your parent or grandparent

Sponsor your adopted children or other relatives
If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and at least 18 years old, you may be able to sponsor certain relatives to immigrate under the Family Class. If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:
• Be able to meet basic needs such as food, clothing, and shelter for yourself and your relative,
• Support your relative financially when he or she arrives, and make sure your spouse or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the government.

Open chat